Monday, November 3, 2008

R.I.P. Halloween '08



Well, we've finally bid farewell to Halloween, which is always a huge month six weeks day in kid-dom, right up there behind Christmas and a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese (sorry for mentioning the "CEC" word, people over the age of 12). We've spent the weekend detoxing from all the sugar, and now we're gearing up to start overhyping the next holiday. But first, some pictures:




We had no idea what Jacob would be until the last minute, when he emerged from his room as Mr. Incredible. I believe that his pecs are the crumpled up sports section. It pained him not to wear his vampire teeth, but he did not tell me that he wanted to be a vampire until 9:00 p.m. on October 30th, which was two days past the bar date for filing a "change of costume" request. I had the authority under section 105 to consider a request made after the deadline, but after careful deliberation, I determined that good cause did not exist for me to make an 8 a.m. Target run on Halloween to hunt down a devoted "vampire cape," when Jacob has two bins full of dress-up clothes, including a Harry Potter cape and a Batman cape, both of which could serve as vampire capes in a pinch. Does that make me a witch? Well, in any event, Jacob got over the vampire thing and seemed very happy as Mr. Incredible.




Elizabeth was a purple fairy, and she could not have been more delighted. Between the magic wand, the tiara, and the wings, she seemed to think that she was sufficiently bedazzled, which was no small feat. As she has probably already told you (or would tell you if given the opportunity), purple is her first favorite color, so between the purpleness and the bling, she was in fancy heaven.





Caroline was a butterfly. I was going to have her wear the bumblebee tutu that Elizabeth wore on her one year old Halloween, but Caroline REFUSES TO WALK, and I didn't think that a tutu would be as crawler-friendly. As a sidenote, even though Caroline won't walk unassisted yet, she is the most funkadelic dancer I know. If she hears so much as a ringing cell phone tune or the jingle of a TV commercial, her ears will perk up, and she'll immediately stand up and start shaking it. We should all be so moved by music. Appropriately enough, David helped Caroline pick out the perfect card for my birthday:


When you open it, it plays the theme to "The Love Boat"


It's signed "From Caroline, your funky little cruiser." By gosh, she is a funky little cruiser!

We do so adore musical greeting cards in my little family. Consider yourselves warned.

Anyway, back to Halloween! Does Caroline look distressed to you in this picture?

It's only because she was distressed. Her tolerance for trick or treating is about like my tolerance for Chuck E. Cheese. Plus, she shared the wagon with Elizabeth, which I am sure had to be stressful in itself. I took her back and put her to bed after three or four houses.

Jacob was excited to get to see his cousin Cantrell for a little while:



When I saw Cantrell, I said, "hey sweetie! You look like a rock star!" She replied: "I'm a POP star. A modestly dressed pop star. I am not showing my belly like a real pop star." Hmmmm, do you think that the pop star's father/manager had a hand in that? You just can't make this stuff up.

The end of the night evaluation of the candy haul. That's our little friend Ben. Elizabeth is looking a bit dazed and disheveled, don't you think?



Hope that everyone else had a great Halloween, too!

[confidential to Cam & Wendy: yup, you know that your neighborhood is going to break heavily for Obama when your kid asks why the monkey has two daddies. I had A BALL on Saturday!!]

4 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

"A modestly dressed pop star..." That is the funniest thing I've heard all day. I snorted water up my nose.

Maria said...

What a fun Halloween! I love the costumes!! I love reading your posts, I always get a good laugh in! Thanks! And glad you enjoyed the pumpkin pancakes!!

Mom to 3 C's said...

One reason not to miss New England... that fairy costume wouldn't go well with the 50 degree evening temperature... (and that was a *mild* Halloween!) ...at least not without a few sweatshirts or winter coat stuffed underneath. And I can imagine the drama that would have ensued if you had to cover the puple and the bling!!

All 3 looked great! Glad they had fun.

Cathy said...

Gina, it's actually a good thing that the old ladies weren't out on Halloween night or I would have been roundly scolded, because in fact, Elizabeth really DID need a sweater, even here (especially by the end of trick or treating), and I just didn't plan ahead and throw a turtleneck under her costume, and I KNEW that if I tried to cover up the finery with a jacket, we'd have one unhappy fairy. So I just kept repeating to myself "cold doesn't cause colds. Germs cause colds" until we were able to get inside and warm up!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS