Wednesday, August 31, 2011

sick day

Since at least Sunday, Caroline has had this strange cough, and I couldn't figure out whether to worry about it or not. Usually I can make a very quick judgment about my kids' coughs -- there are the "go to doctor" coughs: the deep, barky ones that sound bronchitis-y or croupy. Then there are the coughs that kind of sound loose and pflegm-y (sorry, hate that word) -- you just know that there is nothing that can be done for those and a trip to the doctor over it will do nothing but increase the risk that the kid picks up something worse. Caroline's cough was kind of in between - it was sort of hoarse sounding (it seemed to echo?!) but it didn't really sound like it was deep in her chest. It was a tricky one, that cough. So I just kind of watched and listened to it for a couple of days, set up the humidifier, gave her cough medicine, slept poorly, etc.

Then she broke out in a fever last night and was very pitiful. It's so sad to watch a usually exuberant child act all mopey and puny. We knew she couldn't go to school today (they have to be fever free for 24 hours to go to school) so I mentally rearranged the day around the inevitable doctor's appointment.

Caroline eating out of the bowl of food and water she asked me to bring to her inflatable dolphin

But lo! The fever did what fevers are supposed to do, and quickly, I might add, because Caroline woke up good as new and ready to make up for the 5 hours she lost to lethargy last night. She wanted to go to the pool, which I told her we could not do because she was sick, remember? -- but I agreed to set up an inflatable pool in the front yard.



This was definitely better than the sick day I was expecting to have with Caroline.

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS