Saturday, March 17, 2012

Beach Book Packing in 5 easy steps!

There are so many things to think about while packing for vacation, especially with young kids, and it can get a little overwhelming. Thankfully, I streamline the process by following a few simple guidelines for determining whether a book is worthy of the prime real estate in my beach bag.

(1) Does the book jacket coordinate with the contents of a typical Easter basket?



If yes, then it can go in the bag. If no, then ask:

(2) Is the median age of the characters seventeen?



If yes, then it can go in the bag. If no, then ask:

(3) Does it take place on Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?



If yes, then it can go in the bag. If no, then ask:

(4) Is it a homage to food and/or wine?



If yes, then it can go in the bag. If no, then ask:

(5) Does it involve paranormal romance?



If yes, then it can go in the bag.

My friend Andrea, who I can always count on for flawless book recommendations, suggested that last title to me the day before we left for the beach (thanks Andrea!!!). We had this conversation:

A: It a romance between a vampire and a witch, but the witch doesn't want to use her powers so she tries to get by without them.
C: Sounds interesting.
A: And it takes place at Oxford -- they are both professors -- so that is the backdrop.
C: {gasp}
A: And the vampire is this serious lover of food and wine.
C: You had me at "Oxford."
A: And he's French!
C: Oh my God.
A: I know, it just keeps getting better.

So there you have it -- a handy flow chart for scoping out stellar (and not too mentally taxing) beach reads!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Andrea recommended the same book to me last year - I've read it twice and am (not so) patiently waiting for the next installment! Hope you enjoy both the book and the beach. Thanks again for your help today!

Audrey said...

I vowed to never read a vampire book, but I loved this one!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS