Monday, March 12, 2012

Rock on!

Last weekend David and I went with some friends to see the Black Jacket Symphony cover Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced?. What the Black Jacket Symphony does is cover an entire classic album from start to finish, staying completely true to the album (i.e. no rogue guitar rifts or crazy vocal arrangements in a misguided effort to personalize the songs). Then in the second act, it performs assorted greatest hits by that artist. These guys are REALLY talented and were so fun to watch. They had such a rock 'n roll energy about them -- you'd never know that by day they push paper around desks just like the rest of us!! My only wish is that they would consider branching out from classic rock a bit (they tend to like to cover bands like The Doors, The Who, etc). In fact the next day I said to David "how awesome would it be if they covered something like Thriller?" He likes classic rock more than I do, but he agreed that it would indeed be awesome. They have covered the Joshua Tree and Abbey Road, so there is hope. It's not like I'm asking them to do Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy or anything {although how amazing would that be?} but the Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam shouldn't be too much to ask for, come on guys!


After the show, four of our friends decided to go out for a drink, but I ixnayed late night for us. I would be worried that this is a sign that I'm getting old, but then I remembered that I've been ixnaying late night with these same friends since my late 20s. I feel like I have some fun in me until about 10, maybe 10:30 p.m., and then I pretty much want to go to sleep. This is why my ideal social event is the Kentucky Derby -- you can start around 3:30 p.m. and then be done by 8 (and conversely, why New Year's Eve is my biggest nightmare -- especially because it's not usually good form to leave the party at 12:01 a.m.) But anyway. This was a really fun concert and I was in bed well before midnight, and in my book, that is a good night.

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS