Thursday, July 12, 2012

10!



Jacob just turned the big 1-0. He was nearly insane with excitement in the days weeks months leading up to the big day. And I do not think the day disappointed. He spent the morning at a state park with his cousin; spent the afternoon bowling with friends (and then battling them with a cornucopia full of Nerf weapons); and then had a "flat round food" party* (pizza and a cookie cake) with family and frinds. *He is 10 now so it seemed like the right time to dispense with a party "theme," but I found the lack of a theme to be oddly disconcerting, so I seized on the flat round food and mentally made that my own secret theme, although I didn't communicate it to anyone else.

At the end of the day I told him about how I'd never forget about the time a few hours after he was born, when he was in the nursery and I started sobbing uncontrollably because I missed him so much. So David helped me hobble down the hallway to the nursery, sniffling the whole while (me, not David) until I could finally retrieve my baby and take him back to the room with me. David and I both remember how easy it was for us to spot Jacob in the room -- up until that point I thought that all newborns looked the same, but once I had one I realized that your own newborn looks totally different, go figure! I told Jacob that story to illustrate to him how immediately and completely we loved him {although I suspect the story also has sub-themes about post-partum hormones, etc.}.

In any event, it's ten years later and I still can't imagine life without him. Happy birthday Jacob!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love this post. All of it. Happy Birthday, Jacob!!!

Mom to 3 C's said...

Happy Birthday to Jacob! Good for you for keeping up the party themes as long as you did! I've pretty much given up, as it is hard enough to just coordinate people and party food. I do love your "secret theme"!

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS