Tuesday, February 19, 2013

where football is king

This is probably something that only a nerd like me would find funny. At work earlier today, I had to figure out something about the effect of receiver sales (i.e., sales of property by a court-appointed receiver). Now there are obviously specialized databases for conducting legal research, but sometimes when I'm just beginning to research something I'll start with a quick, broad google search. It's free, and sometimes I'll hit on an article or case that really helps get the ball rolling. So anyway, I googled "receiver sales alabama:"

And every. single. hit. involved wide receivers on the Alabama Crimson Tide football team.

First I thought that maybe I was just stupid to think that Google's algorithms would possibly connect the word "receiver" to "receiver of property" as opposed to "wide" -- but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed that the inclusion of the word "sales" (rather than, say,"yards" or "quarterback") immediately following "receiver" really should have helped point them in the right direction. So out of idle curiosity, I decided to substitute "California" for "Alabama" to see what happened:

Just as I suspected. In Alabama, football reigns supreme (or at least more supreme than property sales by court-appointed receivers) -- as God intended it! I guess I'll be sticking to Westlaw for this project.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HILARIOUS! You blogging makes me incredibly happy.

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS